Stir fry is one of the easiest ways to set up a meal. It can be served with rice, noodles or just as it is. The best part is you do not have to spend loads of time in the kitchen. This gets ready in very little time. All that you need to do is the chopping of meat and veggies. Here are some tips to make the perfect stir fry dishes.
1. Chop everything in more or less equal bite sized pieces beforehand. Don’t leave anything for the last moment. It really becomes a disaster when you start to chop your onions and your wok is burning with other veggies on the stove. Keep everything chopped and ready.
2. Always heat the wok before you add the oil. Let the oil heat up before you add the other ingredients.
3. Keep stirring the contents every 30 – 60 seconds. This will ensure that the vegetables do not get burnt. Cook on medium high heat for that perfect crispy cooking.
4. If adding meat, cook meat first and then keep it aside when it is about 80% cooked. Later while cooking the vegetables, add them to cook the remaining.
Steps in making a good stir fry :
1. Oil – Vegetable or peanut oil can be used. Make sure that the oil is heated up before you proceed with the next step.
2. Aromatics – Ginger and garlic can be used as aromatics.
3. Meat – Cook the meat, if using. Keep it aside.
4. Vegetables – Add the vegetables. Add the hard veggies first and then followed by the soft ones after a minute or two. The vegetables will get cooked evenly. Add the 80% cooked meat now along with veggies.
5. Sauce – Add the sauce and mix well. Sauce can be anything from a homemade elaborate sauce to few tablespoons of soy sauce. Sauces enhances the flavour.
6. Garnishes / Nuts – Add chopped coriander/ parsley. You can also add nuts that gives crunchiness to you dish.