Why is it that some viruses attack some people faster than others? Why do some people fall sick often? It all goes down to our immune system. The stronger our immune system, the less chances of falling ill and greater chance of our body to fight infections. It is very necessary to build up ours as well as our families immune system so that we stay healthy at all times. Our bodies can fight the viruses better and hence will protect us from these nasty organisms.
1. Eat good food – By good food, I mean those healthy fruits and vegetables. Leafy green veggies, broccoli, berries etc are just a few. Make them a part of your diet every single day. Have 4 – 5 servings daily. They provide us with tremendous energy and build antibodies which help to fight infections. If you have the habit of snacking in between meals, always try to choose healthy snacks over junk and sugary ones. Consume foods rich in proteins like eggs, milk and cheese. They provide calcium to build our bones.
2. Get enough sleep – Sleep is vital for human development. Get at least 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. You will feel refreshed and energized. One of the reason of a low immune system is insufficient sleep. If you suffer from insomnia, drink a warm glass of milk before bed. Magnesium milk also works wonders.
3. Vitamin D – Nature has a lot to offer for our well being. One such is the sunlight. It gives us Vitamin D that is highly important for our development. Expose your body to sunlight for at least 30 minutes a day. Deficiency of vitamin D causes risk of infections.
4. Water – Being hydrated is crucial for our body. As 75% of our body is made up of water, it is very important to maintain that level in our body. Drinking 8 glasses of water every day is important for an adult.
5. Exercise – Exercise has its benefits in various ways, one of that being a stronger immune system. Aim for at least an hour of exercise 5 days a week. A simple 30 minute walk can also do wonders.
6. Wash hands – Always wash your hands with a good sanitizer and hand wash. Make sure the hands are well washed before and after a meal.